Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Calling of an Engineer

The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer is one that dates back to the 1920’s. Seven past presidents of the Engineering Institute of Canada got together and created an act to celebrate and symbolize the pride of the profession. So now, thanks to their leadership, when an engineering student graduates (in Canada) they receive a registered iron ring that is to be worn on the pinky finger of their ‘working hand' to remind them of the engineer’s obligation to a high standard of safety and professionalism. 

Despite the ‘Calling of an Engineer’ I anticipate my ethics will be challenged in the field and that others will try to test my honesty, integrity and responsibility to the public. Bribery is popular within the engineering industry, and I have every intention to avoid getting caught up in any. Often contractors and consultants will ‘wine and dine’ engineers in hopes of building a lasting relationship. Sometimes these series of events lead to contracts and promises of future deals, even when there are other companies that can provide the same service with a higher quality and with better practices. To me, this is a violation of true integrity. When it comes to building power plants and roads friendships should not take precedence over ethical obligations.  

In order to avoid this type of corruption and graft I plan on staying away from even the smallest of bribes. Nobody is going to come up to you with a big juicy check and request, bribes start small when people test the waters of what kind of person you are. By avoiding even the smallest bribes I will steer myself clear of larger future corruption, all while staying true to my own integrity and honesty. I am not going to let the industry’s games and crooks pervert the responsibility to the public’s safety and health that all great engineer take on; my ‘Calling of an Engineer’.